Better at Home assists older adults with simple, day-to-day non-medical tasks so that they can continue to live as independently as possible in their own homes. Download our brochure here.
You may be eligible if you are:
- 55 years of age or older
- Currently living in the West End or Coal Harbour neighborhood of Vancouver (west of Burrard Street to Stanley Park)
- Needing assistance to complete day-to-day tasks safely and effectively
For a map of the geographic boundaries of other Better at Home service areas, please click here.
Please be advised, We are not currently accepting new referrals to our light housekeeping service.
Minor Home Repairs
- Volunteers assist with basic home repairs such as replacing light bulbs, fixing leaks, assembling furniture, etc.
- Volunteers will not do any work that would require a tradesperson or anything deemed to be unsafe.
- The maximum length of an appointment is two hours.
- Home visit assessments are required to determine eligibility for this service.
- This service is provided by donation, and clients are responsible for providing all necessary tools and supplies if possible.
- Clients must have received all their COVID-19 vaccinations to be eligible for this service
Transportation to and from Medical Appointments
- This service provides transportation to and from medical appointments within the City of Vancouver.
- Volunteers support transportation to and from medical appointments.
- As this service is limited, we ask clients to explore other available options (family, friends, neighbours, public transit including city buses and SkyTrain, HandyDART, etc.) prior to requesting transportation assistance.
- If you require assistance with your physical mobility needs (i.e., if you use a wheelchair or need support with transferring into or out of a vehicle), we recommend that you use HandyDART.
- A minimum of five business days’ notice is required for transportation requests. This deadline does not guarantee that a transportation request will be met, but it does increase the likelihood of arranging transportation. Transportation requests received less than five days in advance may be accepted at the discretion of WESN staff.
- This service is provided by donation.
- Clients must have received all their COVID-19 vaccinations to be eligible
We are not currently accepting new referrals to our light housekeeping service.
Volunteers meet regularly with clients to provide them with an in-person social connection and to help them remain connected to their community. Visits can include meeting at the home of the client to talk, going out for walks or coffee, or other similar activities.
Home visit assessments are required to determine eligibility for this service.
Check-In Phone Calls and Emails
Volunteers make regular phone calls or send emails to socially isolated clients to provide them with reassurance and friendly conversation. The frequency of service can be tailored to the needs of the client, depending on volunteer availability.
Prepared meals are provided in partnership with Gordon Neighbourhood House. Drop in to their Community Lunches on Mondays and Fridays. Everyone is invited. Reservations are recommended and advance notice of dietary sensitivities is required. Frozen meal delivery is available to homebound seniors in the West End.
For more information, call 604-683-2554 or visit https://gordonhouse.org/program/food-justice/
Cost: $7 for members at $10 for non-members for both in-person and pick-up/delivery.
Grocery Shopping and Delivery
Volunteers facilitate the purchase and delivery of groceries for clients who are unable to do their own shopping. Volunteers take grocery orders by phone or email, shop for clients, and arrange for the groceries to be delivered.
This service is free, but clients must pay for their own groceries and a delivery charge may apply.
This service is available via two different stores:
IGA (Burrard and Smithe)
Shopping and Delivery Day
Any day of the week
Volunteers call clients for the list on Tuesdays
Client emails their list to [email protected] by 4:00pm Tuesdays
Volunteer calls clients for thier list on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays
Clients can email their list to [email protected] on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday
Cash or Cheque
Payment information must be registered with WESN in advance.
Credit Card only
Credit Card information must be registered with WESN in advance.
Free for grocery orders over $50
$10 for grocery orders $49.99 and under
$0.15 per paper bag
$4.95 or $9.95, depending on the delivery window selected
Minimum order $45
$0.15 per paper bag
All credit card information must be registered in advance with the West End Seniors’ Network. It is the responsibility of the client to inform the West End Seniors’ Network of any changes to payment method (e.g., credit card expiry date).
Clients who order the same groceries every week can place a “standing order” which will automatically be shopped for.
All services are free, but donations are appreciated. All donations collected help ensure we can offer sustainable services to as many clients as possible.
Notes for clients
Please note – for those paying cash – the delivery person does not have change, so please do not pay with large bills, expecting change.
Please have your shopping list prepared ahead of time and be as detailed as possible. It is your responsibility to be home when the delivery is made.
- If you are not home, groceries will not be delivered again until the following week.
All fees and donations collected for Better at Home services help ensure we can support as many clients as possible.
For more information, please contact Indira Raidi (Community Services Coordinator) at our Barclay Manor location at [email protected] or 604-669-5051 x2.