Better at Home is designed to assist older adults living in the West End and Coal Harbour neighbourhoods of Vancouver with simple, non-medical day-to-day tasks so that they can continue to live as independently as possible in their own homes.
Better at Home is funded by the Government of B.C. and managed by the United Way of the Lower Mainland.
You may be eligible if you are an adult 55 years of age or older living in the West End or Coal Harbour neighbourhoods of Vancouver (west of Burrard Street to Stanley Park) and need assistance to complete day-to-day tasks safely and effectively.
For a map of the geographic boundaries of other Better at Home service areas, please click here.
- Volunteer drivers provide older adults with transportation to and from medical and other critical appointments.
- This service is provided by donation, and clients are responsible for any parking fees.
Minor Home Repairs
- Volunteers assist with basic home repairs, such as replacing light bulbs, fixing doors and handles, etc.
- Volunteers will not do any work that would require a tradesperson or anything deemed to be unsafe.
- The maximum length of an appointment is two hours.
- This service is provided by donation, and clients are responsible for providing all necessary tools and supplies if possible.
- This service can include laundry, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, etc.
- Offered on a sliding scale determined by your annual household income (Line 150 on Canada Revenue Agency income tax assessment).
|Fee Category||Annual Income (Single)||Annual Income (Household)||Subsidy Level||Hourly Rate|
|A||Below $17,666||Below $26,921||100%||$0.00|
|B||$17,667 – $24,957||$26,922 – $37,777||70%||$8.00|
|C1||$24,958 – $31,678||$37,778 – $54,888||50%||$13.50|
|C2||$31,679 – $38,400||$54,889 – $72,000||30%||$18.50|
|D||Over $38,400||Over $72,000||0%||$25.00|
- Up to four hours of service is provided at a subsidized rate every four weeks. Additional hours of service can be purchased at the full rate.
- Clients are invoiced monthly by the West End Seniors’ Network. Payment options include cash, cheque and e-transfer.
- Please note that there is currently a waitlist for subsidized light housekeeping services.
All fees and donations collected for Better at Home services help ensure we can offer a sustainable program which serves as many clients as possible in the West End and Coal Harbour.
For more information, please contact Ming Chen (Better at Home Program Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-669-5051.
Last Updated: 09-Jan-2019