The West End Seniors’ Network offers older adults assistance with filing their income tax returns. All income tax returns are filed electronically for free (eligibility criteria apply) by trained and authorized volunteers through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP).
Tax Season (March – April)
If you require assistance with filing your 2021 income tax return, we offer clinics from March 1 to April 30. Stay tuned for information about how the 2021 tax season clinics will operate this year.
Off-Season (May – February)
From May through February, assistance is available on a by-request basis. Contact the Manager of Programs at [email protected] or 604-669-5051 to inquire. Note that late penalties may be charged by the Canada Revenue Agency or your income supplements from the government may be impacted if your tax return is filed past the deadline.
Family size and total family income is under:
- 1 person – $35,000
- 2 persons – $45,000
- 3 persons – $47,500
- 4 persons – $50,000
- 5 persons – $52,500
- More than 5 persons – $52,500 plus $2,500 for each additional person
Simple tax situation:
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from any of these sources:
- Benefits such as the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), disability insurance, employment insurance, and social assistance
- Registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs)
- Support payments
- Scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, or grants
- Interest under $1,000
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
- Are self-employed or have employment expenses (*see exception)
- Have business income and expenses
- Have rental income and expenses
- Have interest income over $1,000
- Have capital gains or losses
- Filed for bankruptcy in the tax year (or the year before, if that return has not yet been filed)
- Are completing a tax return for a deceased person
- Have foreign income or property (T1135)
*Exception: Individuals who have a T4A (Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income) that shows self-employed or business in box 048 may be eligible to have their return completed through the CVITP if all of the following conditions are met:
- The total income in box 048 is under $1,000
- No expenses are claimed
- The individual is not registered as a GST/HST registrant and is not required to be one
Please respect that the individuals who are filing income tax returns through this service are volunteers who have been trained to file returns electronically. They are not CRA staff or representatives, nor are they accountants or bookkeepers. Aggressive and abusive behaviour and language will not be tolerated.
All relevant documents (T-slips, past year’s Notice of Assessment) must be provided to generate the most accurate estimate for your return. The government may re-calculate the return and refund or charge you a different amount than indicated on the summary from this service. If there are issues or errors found after the return is submitted, it is the responsibility of the client to take corrective measures by contacting the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 or completing and submitting an adjustment form to CRA.
All volunteers have been screened and have up-to-date criminal record checks. All information is kept confidential and secure. Training and tax filing software are provided by the CRA.
WESN retains the right to refuse service.
Last Updated: 11-Jan-2022