Casual / On call
Internal / External Posting
Open: Monday, September 18, 2023
Close: Wednesday, September 27, 2023; 5:00 pm
Position: Clothes and Collectables – Store Supervisor About The West End Seniors’ Network (WESN):
WESN is a registered not-for-profit organization with over 850 members. Our mission is to enhance the quality of life of older adults in Vancouver’s West End by providing social, recreational, educational, and supportive programs and services that foster connection and inclusion in the broader community.
Under the supervision of the Clothes and Collectibles Store Manager, the Supervisor will help to oversee the daily operation of the store. This position requires an individual who works well in a busy environment and is able to respond to requests in a professional and timely manner. Responsibilities include all duties of running the store in the absence of the store manager including cash handling, customer support, and volunteer supervision. Retail functions include cashiering, merchandising, assisting customers, and presenting a professional atmosphere. Backroom functions include efficiently and accurately processing donations and preparing products for the sales floor. The Clothes and Collectables store is an integral part of the West End Seniors Network and is a person who is passionate about working with the community.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Open and close the store
● Supervise day-to-day operations of the store
● Ensure accurate cash management
● Maintain a high level of customer service
● Receive and support the sorting of donations and activity engage with donors ● Ensure the store is orderly, well stocked, and maintained
● Be aware of risk management
● Support the store manager by consistently enforcing company policies and procedures
● Consult with the store manager to determine needs and responsibilities for various volunteer roles.
● Support the training of new volunteers at C&C.
● Support volunteer knowledge of policies and procedures at C&C
● Ensure proper cash handling procedures, accurate cash-out and preparation of deposits.
● Support volunteers and assist with volunteer coverage as required
● Open or close Clothes and Collectables as required
● Support other WESN program and service activities and events as required.
Experience, Education, and Training
● Minimum 2 years experience in retail service
● Experience in working with Non-profit organizations
● Experience working with older adults from diverse backgrounds.
● A strong understanding of equity diversity and inclusion principles.
● Foster the development of others by providing a supportive environment for enhanced performance and growth
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Ability to work independently and sound decision-making skills
● Strong organizational, administrative and time management skills with attention to detail ● Work independently and collaboratively with other WESN staff, programs and services ● Present a professional and welcoming image to members, clients, volunteers, and the general public
● Proactive, flexible and positive when faced with a new task or challenge ● Excellent oral and written skills are essential
● Ability to speak an additional language is an asset
● Normal working hours are scheduled between 10:00am to 7:00pm, Monday to Saturday. However, working hours are flexible depending on operational requirements. The ability to work occasional evenings and weekends is required.
● Completion of a criminal record check is required.
● This position is active and will require occasional heavy lifting and days standing.
Reports To: Manager – Clothes and Collectables
Starting Salary: Start – $17.50 / hour
Hours: Casual on Call – typical shifts are Tuesday – Saturday between 10:00 am and 7:00 pm
Location: Denman Mall WESN location
Other: Satisfactory completion of a Criminal Record Check
WESN is committed to our staff team reflecting the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage applications from older adults, persons with disabilities, BIPOC, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all who may contribute to the diversity of our staff team.
WESN is building a collaborative team of highly motivated individuals who are passionate about WESN’s mandate of having a positive impact on the lives of seniors in Vancouver’s West End.