Please note: This year’s Tax Clinic has concluded. We thank you for a record-breaking season, and for your kindness and flexibility with our volunteers and staff.
WESN offers older adults help with filing income tax returns, for those with modest income and a simple tax situation. All income tax returns are filed electronically by trained and authorized volunteers through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP).
March 15–May 4, 2023
Family size and total family income is under
- 1 person – $35,000
- 2 persons – $45,000
- 3 persons – $47,500
- 4 persons – $50,000
Simple tax situation
- Employment, pension, or support payment
- Benefits — Canada Pension Plan (CPP), disability insurance, employment insurance, and/or social assistance
- Registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs)
- Scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, or grants
- Interest under $1,000
CVITP does not support complex tax situations. Volunteers will not complete returns with:
- Self-employment income or employment expenses
- Business income and expenses
- Rental income and expenses
- Interest income over $1,000
- Capital gains or losses
- Filed for bankruptcy in the tax year (or the year before, if that return has not yet been filed)
- A tax return for a deceased person
- Foreign income or property (T1135)
- Foreign pension, other than US Social Security Benefits
CVITP Volunteers are not expected to answer complex tax questions. If a taxpayer needs information beyond the volunteer’s expertise, they should go to canada.ca/taxes or call 1-800-959-8281.
Starting Wednesday March 15
- Check the criteria (above) to confirm that you meet the clinic eligibility
- Prepare all relevant tax paperwork ( 2021 Notice of Assessment, 2021 TD1 income tax summary and, if possible, income tax slips and receipts) and place in an envelope
- Bring photo ID
- Complete all sections of the WESN Tax Clinic Intake form ahead of time (can be picked up at Barclay Manor, Kay’s Place or downloaded here).
Wednesday & Thursday 10 am–2 pm
Drop-off service only. No appointments. May be subject to wait times and your patience is appreciated.
The clinic is accessible from the back basement door ONLY
From Nicola Street, proceed through the parking lot to the ground level entrance, accessible for mobility device users. Parking is limited and NOT guaranteed. The tax clinic is not accessible via the front door.
There is no fee, but a suggested $20 donation helps us continue to offer our programs and services.
Onsite: use back basement entrance ONLY
- Complete Tax Clinic form if not done already.
- Present form, income tax documents and ID to the tax clinic intake staff.
- You will be provided with an information document to detail next steps.
- Volunteers are assigned your income tax package and assist in the preparation and electronic filing of your return – this may take up to 4 weeks following the time of intake drop-off
- If the volunteer has questions regarding your taxes they will call you. Please note they may be calling from a blocked number. You must answer or have a functional voicemail system.
- When complete, a member of the WESN team will contact you for pick-up where you will verify and receive your completed return (please bring official ID for verification)
- If there are issues found after your return is submitted, you are responsible for taking corrective measures (call CRA at 1-800-959-8281 or complete and submit an adjustment form to the CRA)